You already know you want to get healthier and walk more, but sometimes life can get in the way or you lose your motivation halfway through the week. That 10,000 steps per day goal can seem daunting at times. Do not give up! Re-engage with your step plan and discover ways to stay motivated, stay active, and achieve your goals by trying out these tips.
Note: If you haven’t downloaded the Pacer app yet, download Pacer now for free (on mobile)!
- Make a plan: Sometimes it is hard to find the time to walk. Fitting the time into your physical schedule will help you to commit and follow through.
- Walk with a friend: Whether it is on your lunch break or after dinner, having another person hold you accountable can really help when it comes to getting in those extra steps.
- Engage in friendly competition: In addition to walking with a friend, heat things up by making it a competition. For example, the person with the most steps at the end of the week gets lunch from the person with the least.
- Brag on social media: Occasionally posting your achievements for the day or week on social media will gain you a lot of compliments and positive reinforcement, pushing you to continue doing your best to achieve those goals.
- Start small: If you are starting or restarting your step goals, don’t give yourself an impossible goal out of the gate. Starting small by committing to walking at least 5 out of 7 days per week. Try to increase your steps gradually, like adding 2,000 to your goal. This will be more achievable and encourage you to keep going.
- Reward your victories: You just went an entire month of hitting 10,000 steps 5 out of 7 days every week. Reward yourself! The positive reinforcement will help you continue.
- Have a go-to walking route: This is especially useful for your days off. Having a go-to route to walk where you already know the distance will help you to get those steps on your days off. You can find out using Pacer’s new Routes function.
- Don’t give up! Not hitting your daily or weekly goal is not a reason to give up entirely. Consider adjusting your goal or your schedule so you can ensure more successes. Keep working until you’re able to hit your goals!
- Make it fun. Walking with a friend and catching up can be fun, but what about when you are walking alone? Listen to music, audiobooks or podcasts or learn how to identify some of the passing birds, trees, or flowers, to help you pass the time and find more enjoyment in your longer walks.
Whether you have been tracking your steps for a week or five years, it can sometimes feel overwhelming and difficult to achieve those daily goals. Changing things up and following the tips included here can make all the difference to you and your fitness goals. Give one or two a try, you may just end up jumping in and committing to the entire list!
If you haven’t downloaded the Pacer app yet, download Pacer now for free (on mobile)! You can also check out our website (mobile or desktop) or follow our blog for more great walking and healthy lifestyle tips.